Choosing the right name for your business can be difficult! You want a name that means something to you and that you love! But it’s not always easy to come up with the perfect name! I can’t tell you the amount of time I spent trying to come up with a name I loved for my handmade business.
These are 5 common mistakes people make when choosing a business name!
1. They choose a word that isn’t easy to spell. If people can’t spell your business name it’s unlikely they will ever find you! Test out with family and friends whether they would easily be able to spell your business name and find you. If not choose again!
2. They don’t do all the checks to see if the name is already taken. This is really important to do to avoid costly mistakes further down the line when your business is established. If the name is already taken you might be made to change your business name and image what that could mean for your business.
3. They tie themselves down to one particular product and then as their business evolves, they might change direction but the name no longer matches what they make.
4. They choose a name that people don’t know how to pronounce. This can hold you back if people can’t pronounce it they might decide not to talk about your business and tell their friends, family etc about you.
5. They choose a very long name. This can cause difficulties when wanting to set up social media accounts when characters are limited and a long name can be a lot harder for your potential customers to remember. Make it short, punchy and memorable!
If you find yourself caught in any of these situations, it’s not too late! You can change your business name at any point but be sure to not make the same mistakes again and do all the checks to make sure it’s not registered to anyone else! If you need help getting the business basics in place for your business, please click on this link to book your free discover call to find out how business coaching can help your business.
Love Lynsey xx
The Handmade Business Coach